You all had some great summer activities. I pass them on so you all have no excuses not to live it up this beautiful season. Most of them were repetitive. We all love the beach, our feet in the sand, the wind in our face and the waves licking our toes. So I'm putting some of the different ones here. Even you in Australia, you can save it for the right time. My personal favorite comes from Robyn and made me laugh out loud:
1. Chasing fireflies in upstate New York. If you smashed them and rubbed them on your pants, your pants would glow.
2. Walking on the beach & collecting sea glass
From Australia, I have to question this one:
3. Working in ministry at a Michigan summer camp. Really? The mosquitos? The heat? There must have been a really cute boy there, right?
4. Major League Baseball Games! (Make this a soccer game, and I'm there!)
5. Sitting in the house reading, while the kids are outside playing. (I second this! I send my mom a mother's day card that had a mom with her feet in the blow-up kiddie pool and said, "Motherhood. Living the dream.")
6. Sleeping in and people watching while drinking coffee. (This one is good whether you're traveling or at the corner shop.)
7. Sitting by the pool, drinking an iced coffee and reading something you've read before, so you know it's good. A LOT of relaxing by the pool with a book comments.
8. Riding a bike with a Burley and kids trailing behind.
9. Traveling anywhere and everywhere.
10. Relaxing by a lake, fishing if I feel like it.
11. Walking the beach, hand-in-hand with my husband at Sunset. (Oooh, can we get a collective, AWW!)
12. Hitting the water park with my son.
13. Nature Walks
14. Sitting on the beach at dusk. (My favorite time of day, love this one!)
15. Eating cotton candy at the Boardwalk (I vote for a Caramel Apple!) Having a picnic at the park. (Make that park, Disneyland and the picnic at the Blue Bayou in Pirates of the Caribbean and I'm there!)
16. Leading youth groups in ministry trips.
17. Resting in a hammock and reading.
18. Hiking & Gardening.
19. Reading at the beach and getting a tan (wear sunscreen!!)
20. Church camp.
21. Cook outs with family & friends. (Here, here! Having one this weekend for my baby cousin Levi's first birthday!)
22. Taste of Champlaign even in Champlaign, IL. (I cannot take any kind of craft fair because I used to have to schedule them in the mall, and people annoyed me. Just sayin' -- it was like an indoor garage sale -- and I'm sure Taste of Champlaign is not like this!) I do love a fine art fair though.
23. Kayaking (this is a favorite of mine too!)
24. Water activities with the kids. (Is there a simpler pleasure than kids with a hose? I think not.)
25. Reading INSIDE!
26. Water wars.
27. Making homemade ice cream with Grandma.
29. BBQ's and cute summer clothes and shoes (my kind of girl!)
30. Pizza Parties! (I don't eat pizza and I'm Italian. Little factoid for ya.)
31. Family reunions at the cabin on the lake.
32. Visiting local farmers' markets and cooking with the ingredients. (Another factoid, when I had the Farmers' Market at my mall parking lot, I had the hugest crush on the cute farmer boy in charge. Not enough of a crush to get dirt under my fingernails, but you get the gist.)
33. Roasting marshmallows around a campfire. (The one camping event I can get into. I will even stick a nasty, dirty old wire hanger in my mouth for the pleasure of that soft, roasted sweetness.)
34. Biking to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. (My kind of exercise!)
35. Reading in the hammock with a Sweet Tea at my side. (Oooh that sounds heavenly!)
36. Talking with friends, and just not rushing. (What's that like?)
37. Ultimate Frisbee in the summer rain and slushies afterwards.
38. Frequenting Dairy Queen and visiting hometown days.
39. Visiting an orphanage in Mexico to teach English.
40. Soaking up the A/C in my house.
41. Drying off in the sun after a swim.
42. Sitting by the pool with my iPod and a book.
43. Sitting around the firepit and listening to the frogs.
44. Photographing and Scrapbooking summer memories.
45. Dancing outside on the deck.
47. Mountain Biking in the hills.
48. Painting in the outdoors.
49. Horseback riding.
50. Labeling and organizing my house to get ready for the school year. (You are invited here!)
My favorite summer activities included watching the fireworks on the Fourth from my once-glorious front porch (seen in the picture.)
I love to drive with really loud music in a convertible or now with my sun roof open. (No kids messing with my radio please.)
I love to swim, then bake on the hot cement, then swim again.
I love boating, kayaking and sailing.
Love to be in San Francisco on a perfect summer day.
Love to eat in a restaurant with an ocean view.
Love creating an outdoor room and listening to the trickle of a fountain, birds chirping and frogs singing at night. Ahh...
Winners of the "Perfectly Dateless" books: